Calling all Composers!
Create a Fanfare for a Chance to be Featured in the Summer 2024 Issue of Piano Inspires Kids
Help us celebrate the 2024 Summer Games! Compose a fanfare for solo piano and submit it to Piano Inspires Kids for your chance to be featured in the 2024 Summer issue.
What is a Fanfare?
A fanfare is a short and usually brilliant piece used to announce the arrival of an important person or the beginning of an important event. Movies and TV shows often begin with a title theme, the national anthem signals the start of sporting events, and celebratory sounds fill the air as a newly wedded couple turns to walk down the aisle together. It is often scored for brass instruments, but fanfares have been written for everything from solo instruments to full symphony orchestras.
Submission Deadline: March 15, 2024.
- The competition is open for any student pianist under the age of 15 at the time of the deadline.
- Compositions must be between 16 and 44 measures in length.
- The composition must be for solo piano, at any level of difficulty.
- A video performance of the work, performed by the composer, must be included.
Ideas to Get You Started:
- Like an architect, create a piece that has a clear form or structure in its rhythm, melody, and sound. Form is how a piece is put together in its parts. Example: ABA form
- Decide on your meter and specify a time signature.
- Have clear musical ideas (themes or motifs) that use a rhythm, melody or harmony that repeats or varies.
- Have parts that repeat and parts that contrast.
- Keep it simple – less is more!
- Score must be computer generated using music-notation software.
- Score must be submitted as a PDF, sized for 8.5 x 11-inch paper.
- Scores must include a title.
- Entrants are encouraged to include the following in the score: tempo markings, dynamics and articulation, other expressive marks, and fingerings.
- The composer must be the sole author of the submitted composition but may receive help in notating their work.
- No change may be made to the score and video once it has been submitted.
- Students will be divided into 3 divisions: ages 7-9, 10-12, and 13-15.
- The magazine reserves the right to elect one winner, more than one winner, or no winner.
- Decisions of competition judges are final.
There are no monetary awards given to winners. Winning compositions will be printed in Piano Inspires Kids or posted at kids.pianoinspires.com.
Deadline: March 15, 2024